Swimmers advised of bacteria, Roaring River State Park

Wednesday 27 October 2059 80817 Shares

Swimmers advised of bacteria, Roaring River State Park

An elderly man has died after becoming infected with a deadly flesh-eating bacteria, known as Vibrio vulnificus, while wade fishing in the Roaring River State Park, Missouri authorities said Tuesday.

After coming out of the water, the individual began experiencing severe hand pain and presented to a hospital in Springfield, Missouri, where doctors noticed classic signs of bacterial infection, according to local health officials.

Measures were taken to fight the infection—referred to as vibriosis—and the hand was amputated but the patient passed away a day after being admitted. River Township is one of twenty-five townships in Barry County.

Missouri Department of Health and Human Services will post further updates after water test results come back Saturday.

loading Biewty
loading Biewty 3